Monday, November 16, 2009

A room for Emily


This is one of the things I was working on last week. You may remember last Christmas I made a roombox for my niece Holly (you can see it here). Her best friend Emily (who is also her next door neighbour) has always desperately wanted a roombox too. Holly's mum asked me if I would make a roombox for Holly to give to Emily for her 9th birthday...so I did.

I was lucky enough to buy those cute bed ends off a man from another club who had made them himself. I had to make everything as quickly as possible (because I had so many other things to get done last week!) so I searched around the house for something to use as a bed base and I found a plastic box that was exactly the right size. I covered the box with fabric then glued the bed ends to it.
The pink chair is from a plastic outdoor set I bought at the $2 shop, it was bright yellow so I painted it. (Liberty hasn't noticed it's missing from the set yet, I'll be in trouble when she does, lol!) I love the 'Emily Rocks' poster!
This table also came from the $2 shop, unfortunately that range of furniture is becoming very hard to find, it's been very useful! Holly made her friend a card so I got her mum to scan it and send it to me so I could make a mini of it to go on the table. There's some badly made mini food on the plate, lol! It was my first attempt at fimo (since I was a kid). I made it last year.
This shelf was part of a funny little $2 shop dresser. The round painting is a button! The house is a printie from Jean Day's wonderful site, you can find the printie here. That's the wallpaper Jo sent me, it looks so lovely and fresh.

The 'Emily' sign above the bed is made from Sabiha's pasta (there isn't much of that pasta left as Liberty decided it would be a good idea to eat it raw the other day, yuk!) I made the little pink table, the photo on it is of Holly and Emily. The title of the book on the table is 'My Friend Emily'. I've put that little cat in the bag there so Emily will get a surprise when she looks in the bag.

I found as many books with 'Emily' in the title as I could! The Milly-Molly-Mandy books are some of my own all time favourites. 'Emily of New Moon' and 'Emily's Quest' are by LM Montgomery, more favourites of mine. There's a 'Hannah Montana' book because the girls love her and a book called 'Mercedes Ice' which is a very cute story and was given to me by a dear friend a long time ago.
I almost got the whole roombox finished last Monday. All day I just kept saying to myself 'Do it NOW'. So instead of starting something then putting it down to finish later I made each thing from start to finish right away! I totally surprised myself with what I achieved!
Today it was Emily's birthday, so somewhere out there across the other side of town there is one very happy nine year old!
Mercedes

27 comments:

  1. Beautiful room, lovely gift for a friend to give a friend! Isn't it amazing what can be accomplished when one simply focuses and gets down to business? Very nice project, Mercedes. I love all the little accessories you added.

    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mercedes the room is wonderful. All the little details are brilliant. I bet Emily will be over the moon with her present..xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely room what a job well done x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She will the happiest girl of the neighbourood!! everything is lovely, from the bed to the cute button! You are fairy Mercedes Hugs Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a darling little room! I love all of the precious details you've added. I just want to keep looking at it again and again! I'm certain that Emily will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice birthday present for a little girl. She`s gonna love it.
    The room is absolute beautiful!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You right....that is going to be one happy little girl! Love that little pink chair...it's so cute! And all those books! How perfect!!! I can't wait to show Cora what you've been up to:)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mercedes, you must be a little girl's angel! I am so impressed with your generosity , thoughtfulness and determination! The little roombox must be treasured because it is just too precious! Emily is a lucky little girl !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Complimenti, sono sicura che la piccola Emily sarà al settimo cielo...io ho 47 anni ma ne vorrei una pure io... ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  10. Esta realmente preciosa la escena. No le falta de nada.
    Besujis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a pretty little room for a
    lucky little girl!
    /Eva J

    ReplyDelete
  12. This room box is absolutely delicious ... like everything you do!
    me spellbound when I pass by your blog, is wonderful, you make me look through the eyes of a child ...
    thanks for the show!
    You see who put so much love in the things that you do ...
    Happy birthday to Emily for her 9 years!
    kisses, Caterina

    ReplyDelete
  13. O such a sweet room again! The details with her name and the photo's with her friend are just too cute. I bet that little girl is just amazed!!

    groetjes Evelien

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful job you did- Emily must have squealed with glee! This is the type of present you treasure forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The little room is beautiful, Mercedes. I love the little details like all of the things with Emily's name on them. Adding the book with your name is a really cute way to "sign" your work, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, where do I start? I love this room box, what a lucky girl Emily is indeed! I loved Milly Molly Mandy stories as a girl, I can't wait to get Holly some to read! And do you know, I would never have recognised the wallpaper if you hadn't said it was from the roll I sent you! LOL! All the little detail touches are what makes this so sweet and special Mercedes, I'm sure Emily's mum will be blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful room-box Mercedes! What a lovely gift =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mercedes, wonderfull job,the room is adorable, so beautifull

    A big kiss!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. La escena es preciosa.
    Tengo un premio luz para ti por ser una seguidor@. Muchísimas gracias por estar hay y hacer que siga adelante con el blog.
    Espero verte pronto.
    Besujis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mercedes it is so lovely, I'm sure Emily will be delighted. I like your motivating tactics - a deadline and 'just do it' are great for focussing the mind, and I bet it wasn't a chore but lots of fun.

    I wonder if it will inspire Emily (and Holly) to try making miniatures themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a special roombox and present! I can imagine the joy of receiving your own personnalized roombox. :) Thank you for sharing all the details.
    Maia

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is perfect and I think Emily is very happy with the room.

    Love sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sure Emily will be delighted with the room, it's lovely and all the details are perfect. Thank you for sharing the vintage school.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  24. The room is gorgeous and the details are absolutely beautiful.
    Wonderful work ... as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a nice roombox, love the whole thing, especially the books with her name in the title.
    The bed is so pretty!
    Greetings
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  26. You put so much thought into your rooms, you personalize them so well!
    I bet there is one very excited 9 yr old in New Zealand at the moment.
    Beautiful work!

    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome! Where do you get your book covers and spine titles? I want to make a mini library with all the books in my wishlist! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!